One of our art projects for our India unit was making "henna hands". There was an artist offering henna (or mendhi) at the Taste of India fundraiser, and I think it is beautiful, but I don't think it is quite appropriate for my lifestyle. If I knew I could remove it when I was ready to, I might spring for it. So instead of getting real henna, I had the boys trace their hands again and then draw henna designs on their paper hands.
 |
| Evan's Henna Hand |
 |
| Xavier's First Attempt at a Henna Hand |
|
|
| | | | | |
|
 |
| Cole's Henna Hand |
Xavier
wanted to do a second hand. He says he really liked doing them. It
was late in the day and he must have said that he wanted to do another one, but
he didn't know what to do. So I had him watch me sketch out a pattern,
starting in the center and just moving out, add the same things around the circle.
I encouraged him to make it squiggly. Then I turned him loose while I
worked on supper.
 |
| Mom's demonstration for Xavier |
|
| |
| Xavier's practice on scratch paper |
I think his second hand turned out magnificent!
 |
| Xavier's Second Henna Hand |
|
|
Henna is usually black when first applied, then becomes a burnt orange color. I looked briefly for a picture of the henna design that won a UT photo contest. It was pictured in the Alcalde, but unfortunately, I didn't find it.
No comments:
Post a Comment